Sunday, September 12, 2010

Discover What Winter Tires Can Do For You

Most people love summer time and hate winter, but we can't enjoy something without hating something else. So, if you live in a place where snow keeps you inside your home and makes you think twice before going out and your everyday driving becomes a real adventure, even if this part of the year last for two or three months, you should really consider buying some good, nice and reliable winter tires.

I know what are you thinking right now "why should I do that, I spend top dollar on the best car and it's equipped with the latest technology in breaking systems and skid control" but this isnt enough. Remember that your tires are those who put you and your car in contact with the outside world and I think you agree with me when I say, it should stay that way. You probably think is the same rubber with a better configuration so it can grip better in the snow, but this isn't all. Winter tires are made from a special rubber that have a highly adhesion to cold, wet, slippery, icy and/or snowy asphalt, notice that all tires producers recommend that you should equip your vehicle with winter tires when the temperature drop below 10 degrees Celsius.

Let me tell you a little story, last winter I bought a set of winter tires because I went on a ski trip and I told myself "just in case". After I equipped my car, on my way home, I had to brake hard to avoid hitting one clumsy driver, it wasn't snow on the road, it was a slippery slimy mud or something like that, but the car stopped faster than I expected, avoiding a trip to the police station. After this I was more attentive to how my car responded, I was astonished when I observed that even the control was better.

After this experience I recommend to all my friends and family to use appropriate tires for each season.

By switching between tires you protect yourself and your car. Note that summer tires used in cold weather tend to age and wear off faster, so you are doing a good investment by having tires for summer and winter time.

Some tips when you buy tires

* You should buy them from a specialized shop that can also equip your car on the spot, in this way you avoid unnecessary trips from the shop to a service where you could find a long waiting line.
* Try to do this before winter holidays, this way you'll get a lower price and a shorter amount of time spent by doing the switch.
* Think that you'll be going home with 4 more tires and you'll need a transport for them, if you don't have the required space available in your car ask a friend to come along.
* And on your way out grab some garbage bags, you don't want those used, muddy tires to make a mess in your trunk.

What brand of tires should you get, I can't say, just ask the salesman from the shop what he recommends depending on your budget, preferences or available sizes.

Remember, winter fun is on the snowy trails not on the slippery roads.

No comments:

Post a Comment